Deli lovers rejoice! Watching your waistline doesn’t mean turning your back on the restaurants you love. At TooJay’s Deli, offering you an array of healthy, lower-calorie options is our pleasure. Choose from more than 200 entrées (added accent) under 600 calories on our Deliciously Lite Menu (toojays.com/lite) for breakfast, lunch and dinner or follow a few basic tips that cut the calories on all our deli classics.
Here are six tips to get you started!
- Little gestures add up to big milestones. Go ahead and have the lean roast beef or turkey sandwich on fresh rye but skip the calorie-laden mayonnaise. Take it a step further and replace the French fries or potato salad (removed chips) with a side-salad and low-cal dressing or a small order of fresh fruit.
- Resist the bread and order an entrée like old-fashioned pot roast, but ask your server to replace the mashed potatoes with another fresh vegetable.
- Be mindful of portion size. Consider eating half of everything on your plate and taking the other half home for tomorrow.
- Salads are a staple for many calorie-counters, but heavy dressings and large servings can knock them off the healthy eating bandwagon. TooJay’s chopped salad of turkey, ham, egg and crisp greens with crumbled Gorgonzola and bacon on top is a wholesome, low-cal meal that stands on its own without heavy dressing. For dressing, zesty light Italian or olive oil and balsamic vinegar hit the spot.
- Forego creamy soups and order a healthy, broth-based vegetable soup instead. TooJay’s traditional chicken noodle soup is loaded with chicken and vegetables and only 70 calories. And yes, make it a cup instead of a bowl.
- Choose your beverages wisely because sweet sodas, ice teas and juices can pack more calories than you think. Opt instead for flavorful, unsweetened drinks, like TooJay’s fresh brewed ice tea or peach tea (this is sweet puree) to accompany your meal.
Eating lean and healthy at an authentic, New York-style deli is not nearly the challenge some people think it is when you have a Deliciously Lite Menu to choose from and some calorie-busting tips to make almost any dish work for you.